Professor Brian Jonathon Lipworth
BMedSci, MBChB (Hons), MRCP (UK), MD, FRCP (Edin), FRCP, FACAAI (USA)
Professor of Allergy and Respiratory Medicine, University of Dundee
Honorary Consultant Physician, NHS Tayside
I have clinical and research expertise in respiratory, rhinology, cardiovascular and metabolic medicine, along with my background in clinical pharmacology. I believe that this places me in a unique position in terms of my research profile, and particularly with respect to attracting funding. I have good relationships with several pharmaceutical companies and with other universities in Europe and USA. I have been a principal investigator for 15 years and I have done 15 GCP trials to date.
I have brought in funding of over £5million over the past 10 years from the pharmaceutical industry, predominantly sole applicant grants.
I am currently funding 3 clinical research fellows, 1 Clinical Trial Supervisor, 1 Nurse, 6 Technicians, 1 Lab Assistant and 1 Secretary. To date, clinical research fellows under my supervision have resulted in 14 MD theses.
Postgraduate Awards and Committees
- Scottish Thoracic Society 1987/1988: Methven Prize
- British Pharmacological Society 1991: British Association of Pharmaceutical Physicians Prize
- British Pharmacological Society 2000: SmithKline Beecham Prize
- Honorary International Fellow of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (FACAAI) 2003 for outstanding contributions to allergy research.
- Elected member of Association of Physicians
- Current member of the MRC Advisory Board
- Current member of WHO ARIA (Allergy Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma) Guidelines Committee.
- Visiting Professorship, Harvard Medical School 2008 (Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston)